Thursday, October 22, 2009

Swine Flu Shots

The school department is offering to vaccinate the entire school system for the H1N1 virus. The are doing it in conjunction with the county health department. My girls are getting the shots or nasal mist, whichever one is available at their school. Some people are telling me not to or telling me horror stories they have heard about kids that have received the vaccine.
Do they really think I haven't studied up on this? Do they really think I would knowingly harm my children? It really ticks me off.
I have read up on the vaccine as much as I can. I believe the CDC when it says that they have spent more time developing and testing this vaccine than some of the other flu shots.
H1N1 is a strain of flu. It has proven to be a dangerous strain of flu. The seasonal flu shots that are developed every year are based on educated estimations on what strains of flu may be showing up in this country. People claim the get a flu shot and then get the flu anyways. The flu they develope is not the strain they were innoculated against but a different strain!
The swine flu vaccine was developed with this specific strain in mind.
I am not one of those moms that runs my kids to the doctor for every sneeze or cough. My children are, for the most part very healthy. A few winters ago we had some difficulty with strep throat and scarlett fever. My youngest in particular is especially suseptible. I don't fool around with that and our doctor takes an aggressive approach when Chrissy comes in with strep.
We have gone two winters without a single case of strep!!
The girls have never received a flu shot in the past but I'm really concerned about the swine flu so this year they will receive the vaccine. Don's radiation treatments put him in the high risk category so he will also get the vaccine. The girls getting the vaccine is also added protection for him! I will also get it once it is made available.
My family's health is very important to me. I feel this vaccine will help prevent the spread of the virus so we will do our part.

1 comment:

HerMajesty00 said...

Margie other people always know better about raising kids, paying bills, or living in a relationship. I think all your reasoning is very sound and you need to do what you an Don feels is best for your family. love ME