Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Allie vs the Catcher

What do you get when you run into a catcher at full speed? A trip to the emergency room!
Tonight my Allie ran full speed into the catcher while trying to score from 2nd base. Allie went one way and the catcher went the other way. He dropped the ball and she scored. However, her left arm hit his catcher's helmet and it bruised and swelled up fairly quickly thus resulting in a trip to the ER.
After being examined by the doctor and an xray, it turns out there was no fracture but it is bruised and right now there's a good size lump. Motrin and a couple days rest is all the doctor ordered. She plays again Friday but we'll see.
Allie plays hard whether it is soccer, basketball or softball. She always runs at full speed and believe me she is fast. I have seen her "bounce" off opposing soccer players and land several feet backwards only to get back up and start running again. Oh a few times she has been carried off the field by the coach but she is usually back in the game in no time. Tonight was different. She hit that catcher hard and I was scared that her skinny arm was broken! My friend Joe is an ER nurse at the local hospital. He was there when we got there and he was her nurse. Joe is a big guy:6-5 and about 275 lb. My girls think he's great and I'm sure Allie felt better to have him there. I know I did.
Trips to the ER are never fun and they are certainly a mother's worse nightmare. I have had my share and I'm sure tonight won't be my last however, the outcomes have always been good. Oh, a few stitches, some xrays and one trip for a concussion (the worst one). I am thankful that I have healthy and mostly careful children!!

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

I'm having flashbacks of Ruthie taking out the Plympton catcher, and of Cindy Andrews (catcher) & Viv Ferry (1st base) going for a pop foul and a head-on collision (guess who bounced & landed a few feet backwards on THAT on)

Oh those were good times!