Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Cheerleader

Well, we have a new activity in our house-cheerleading! My Chrissy is a cheerleader for the Lower Jets-the 7-9 year old football team in the Madison Youth Football League.
My idea of cheerleading has changed over the last few years. Since I started attending the Friday night games with the girls, I have seen how cheerleading has changed since I was a kid. It is a more athletic activity than I ever thought.
Todays cheerleaders aren't just bubbleheaded girls shaking pompoms. They are trained and very athletic young people. They aren't just girls either. For 3 years MHS had a guy on the varsity cheering squad. His senior year he was the drum major!
Chrissy is pretty good at cheering. She is very flexible and very athletic. She can do cartwheels and splits and other gymnastic type moves that just amaze me. And she looks really cute!

I have always considered my self a jock. As a kid I was always playing some sport-baseball, softball, basketball, etc. If there was a ball involved (or a puck!) I was playing. I never EVER considered being a cheerleader. My girls have always been involved in sports. Usually soccer and most recently , softball. Now we have cheerleading. I can't wait for the football season to start!! GO JETS!!!

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

funny how your perception changes when it's YOUR bubbleheaded blonde shaking the pompom's!!!!