Friday, August 1, 2008

August

The countdown begins. 24 more days until school begins. Maggie was sitting here beside me while I was checking my mail. When I logged on to blog, she was still sitting here. As soon as I started, she says "I can't watch this" and went back up stairs. It's not that I don't enjoy having my children home all day. During the school year the house schedule becomes more structured. Dinner time and bedtimes are created and are more enforceable. I have never been a real stickler for bed times. Usually the girls are in bed by 9PM. If I have trouble getting them up in the morning, I have them go to bed a little earlier. Soccer practice interferes with dinner. They always seem to have practice at 6PM. I don't want them to eat too much before practice and 7 or 7:30 is a little late.

Old Fashion Days started last night. Our front porch was full of people watching the parade. We did get the downstairs cleaned and sparkley before everyone got there. The girls sold a few bottles of water to my friends even though I had a cooler of cold drinks available. They also sold a couple of cups of Kool-Aid. It wasn't a very profitable night but maybe they will do better as the weekend goes on. Tonight on Main Street are the Bed Races. You need a team of 5 adults. 1 rides and the other 4 push. Last year was the first time they had them and it was a riot. Tonight I hope there will be a few more teams. They added the bed races for the adults because most of the games are geared to the kids. The adults also have horseshoes and of course, cornhole. The horseshoes are serious competition. They have classes of competitors. The have horseshoe pits at the county fairgrounds and teams play there all of the time. Cornhole is really big around here. To me it is just a version of beanbag toss. but some people take it very seriously. At the American Legion Post we have Cornhole tournements nearly every weekend during the winter.

No comments: