Monday, October 27, 2008

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

I tried very hard not to let Maggie become like me. I set rules and enforced them. She didn't like it but she went along. Then 5th grade came along and I saw it. My worst nightmare had come to life. Now that 7th grade is here, it is worse than ever. My beloved daughter is a procrastinator. She was up until at least 11pm writing a book report that is due Monday. Oh, she read the book in plenty of time. It was researching the author and then putting it together that is taking so long. She has had the assignment for two weeks. "I'm working on it in school", was her regular response when I would ask her about it. She comes home Friday all mad at her teacher because it is due Monday. "She wants it early!" Although the due date has been moved up, the original date was for TUESDAY!!! So instead of being up late Monday night, she was up late tonight!
I already told her that I was not going to write a note to the teacher and she wasn't going to stay home from school.
I know how she feels because I was the same way. I usually wrote good papers but they were always done the night before or I would stay home from school sick and turn it in late. My brother David took the blame many times by telling the teacher that I had done the paper but he forgot to bring it in because I was home sick.
I always make sure that I have supplies on hand for almost any project you can imagine. We have the internet now which saves last minute runs to the library or Hannah's house. This year was suppose to be better. She promised me she would not wait until the last minute. You would think she would get tired of listening to me ask her about certain projects. But then I remembered, I made those same promises to my mother. I was typing papers the night before even in college. Oh, I would go to the library and check out books and start the research on day 1 but that stuff would sit in my room or my car until the last day. I would turn in note cards or rough drafts when they were due but I would always do the final paper the night before.
The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

1 comment:

Her Harlequin said...

isn't that known as a grandparents ultimate revenge? Watching a child try to raise a grandchild who is just like the child that make the grandparents suffer so much?

I can just imagine how much Nannie & Grampie would have gotten a chuckle out of this post! I can just imagine how much they would have LOVED those 3 wonderful girls.