Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Donating Blood

I tried to donate blood today but I was not able to because my iron was low. I guess I haven't been eating right because my belly has been bothering me. My blood pressure was good and my pulse and temp. were good. Just my iron was low. Not too low but not high enough to donate. I feel bad because it was a special O drive. I am O+ so they like my blood. I did get a duffle bag for coming in which really makes me feel bad that I couldn't donate.
I have only been turned away a couple of time. Once during basic training I had a temp. of 101. They wouldn't let me donate but I had to help the other soldiers that could donate. I was really feeling sick and they were making me work. They tried to make me feel guilty because the others were donating and I wasn't. It wasn't like I was trying to get out of it!
Another time I was turned away because I had had a yellow fever shot and had been on anti-maleria pills. I didn't have maleria but I had just got back from Central America and they couldn't use blood that had those antibodies in it.
Oh well, next drive I will be ready.

No comments: