Monday, June 23, 2008

Special Prize for Mom

Like most mothers, I tend to put my family's needs and concerns before my own. Oh, if I need some new underwear or some motrin, I'll get some. Sometimes I splurge and I'll buy a vanilla iced coffee from McDonald's. Today I bought myself a rocking chair. A beautiful pine rocking chair. To top it off, I only paid $20 for it! If there was one lesson I learned from my mother, it was NEVER pay full price for anything. We had the chairs for sale at Giant Eagle for $69. I asked the manager when he was going to mark them down. He said he didn't know but if I gave him a fair price, he would sell it to me. Today, Don and I were grocery shopping. We said hello to Joe-the store manager- and we continued shopping through the store. About 15 minutes later, Joe paged "Marge from produce, if you are still in the store, meet me in front of deli." Of course all kinds of thoughts ran through my head but I went over to deli. There was Joe with the chair. He was marking it down 1/2 price but because it was the display chair, he gave it to me for $20!!! It has a couple of little dings in it but it is still beautiful.
Of coarse we bought some prizes for the girls and Don got his Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. But I got my rocking chair!!

2 comments:

HerMajesty00 said...

I have Momma and Nana's rocking chairs and I love to rock and think of them. I think the earliest memory I have is of Momma nursing Dave while sitting in hers.

Her Harlequin said...

well didn't you just become fair game! let me just say the most obvious one. I hope you use it a lot because anytime you are NOT sitting in it we will know that you are off your rocker!