Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Shoppers

As most of you know I work for Giant Eagle, a supermarket. I have been there for over 9 years. Before that I worked for Shaw's Supermarkets for over 14 years. My brothers and now my nephews work at Shaws. Anyways, it is that time of year when the customers go crazy. They spend more money on one meal than they do for a week's worth of groceries. They also become very picky when they buy stuff. For example, we have a huge display of yams. They are .59/lb. The people pick through the pile like they are buying a car. They inspect each yam before they put it in the bag. They inspect each bag of cranberries before putting it in the cart. You wouldn't believe how many people think they can get fresh cranberries in the summer. They would probably pay an arm and a leg for a tiny bag in the summer. Now that cranberries are in season and on sale, they need a bag full of perfect berries.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of our customers. The regulars are terrific. It's the ones that come in just to cause trouble. They are the ones who tell me that Walmart has yams for .39/lb and that Marc's(another market in town) has celery for .99. Well, buy it there then! I don't decide what the prices will be. I just order it and put it out. I know what the prices are at our competition. I read the ads too!
So, when you shop this week, remember, the clerks and cashiers at your local market only work there. They probably do most of their shopping there and are also aware of the other prices. If you can find a deal elsewhere, we won't hold it against you. Chances are we will be going to that store later to get a deal too.

No comments: