Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veteran's Day

Happy Veteran's Day a couple of days late. I really wanted to blog about Veteran's day and it's significance however, I just haven't had time. I was off but I was part of two programs that day. The first was at the elementary school where the girls go. Every year they have a very nice program. It starts with a flag raising outside. The kids sing songs and the principal talks to the kids about veterans and why they are important. There are always members from the American Legion and the VFW there but parents and family members are also invited. They are encouraged to stand around the flagpole. The kids love it when Mom or Dad are up at the flagpole. The flag is a flag that flew at the Capitol in Washington. Rep. LaTourette presented it to the school a few years ago. (His daughters went to HNK and are now Seniors at MHS.) The flag is kept in its case all year and is only flown on Veteran's Day! The flagpole at the school is really big. Th school probably replaces it's flag once a year. That's why this flag is kept in a special case and flown once a year.
The 2nd program was at an assisted living complex here in Madison. We went there to honor the vets that lived there. The Hospice of the Western Reserve presented each of the veterans or widows of veterans with pins and a little card. It was very nice. There were a couple of women veterens there too from WWII. It was nice.
Later that afternoon I had parent-teacher conferences at the elementary school. Allie and Chrissy had all A's this first term so the meetings went well.
After dinner, Don and I went to Quigs. Since it was Veteran's Day, we didn't pay for any drinks. People kept buying them for us. I left with 3 chips in my pocket because I couldn't keep drinking. I had work in the morning.
So, Happy Veteran's Day. Remember, if you see a vet, thank them. We enjoy our freedoms because of them.

No comments: